Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Shapes are not Lines.

After my frustration with my performance in the Nancy Crow class I just had a "light bulb moment".  In class we did a black and white exercise with lines (less than 1 inch) and shapes, everything larger. I had a problem with lines that were too fat. This makes for a boring composition. Well , I am a slow learner and after making 30 blocks for a new quilt, and spending the afternoon redoing them,  I now understand the difference.


This is the start of  a quilt for my son and daughter-in-law's new house. 16 inch blocks of earth tone mosaics. The bottom blocks are what happens when the lines are the size of the color shapes. Boring and no color impact. The upper blocks are what they look like when neutrals are "lines". Still some of the lines could be smaller, but this is what I got by partially taking apart  and remaking the old blocks. New blocks will definitely have skinny lines. Also need some more variation in the size of the shapes.