Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Collaborative Color Project

 A while back I started on a color challenge from the 15 Minutes of Play collaborative blog. Every Wednesday Victoria presents a new color that we are to use as the focus for a new block. Most of the others are doing more traditional blocks, but I wanted to have a more monochromatic, improvisational loo. And I really don't do traditional precision pieced blocks well.

So  using just what I had in my stash I  made large pieces of fabric. Then I inserted narrow strips, using just the challenge colors.
  
Colors so far --

bright yellow
mauve
peach
dusty blue
avocado
ochre
bright - hurt your eyes - orange

This is really turning out to be a really fun project. The colors have been challenging to find in my stash. I really don't want to buy new fabric but I may have to. Ochre, a color I thought I would have very little of, because I don't do brown was not a problem. There were lots of hand dyed experiments in the stash from mixing too many colors together. When you do this you get brown.  Dusty blue on the other hand will require a trip to the quilt store. Although I have a lot of blues most are in the periwinkle or turquoise family. But I did get one block done.

Right now the pieces range from 8-15 inches. We will have a total of 15 colors when finished. At some point I will need to make duplicates but I think I will wait to see what the other colors are before I do the narrow inserts.

 This is turning out to be something I really like and I expect it will be a queen sized quilt when finished. It will be fun to put the puzzle together and I am looking forward to figuring out the filler pieces which will be surprises.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Finally back in the Sewing/Knitting Seat!

It's been a long time. Still not 100%. The arm break was the easy part. Associated tendon and nerve damage is taking a lot longer. But the good news is that sewing and knitting are on the approved physical therapy list. Working on the computer is also good therapy. Just need to take breaks for hot/cold pack rests.

When I last posted I was working on a vintage challenge. I almost got it done and this is where it is ready for quilting. No rush on this so it's on the back burner for now.

Vintage fabric

Mid design

Final


Before final quilting and cropping.
Picture on right, Composition on left

A current deadline project is another collaborative project from Tommy where we all get a segment of an enlarged photograph to interpret. This one is larger than the one we did last year - a good thing..  I got all the piecing done and now I'm working on the quilting. Not all that hard sewing wise but takes time to figure out and practice to get the right free motion quilting technique. But I will only be a week or two late on the deadline and she is OK with that. Thank you Tommy for your patience.

**Update I got it done and ready to address the envelope!!!

Since I finished my collaborative project I am ready for something fun and relaxing and found it on the 15 Minutes of Play color challenge. Each Wednesday Victoria picks a new color and our challenge is to make a block with this focus color. So far the colors have been mauve, ochre, avocado, peach and "screaming" yellow. I have but together a collection of each color (ochre is a really problem because I don't do brown) but my bigger challenge is to figure out a block that I can use all these colors in. It's a little tricky to pick a background fabric that will highlight the focus color block, but not compete with it. I think I need to pick a light background. Not necessarily all the same fabric but a monochromatic pallet. Maybe a light beige, yellow or peach. Warm colors seem to be where I'm leaning right now. Just need to do some stash diving. 

My color collection so far.