THE MID-MICHIGAN KNITTERS GUILD
ARTICLE I - NAME AND PURPOSE
1. The organization shall be known as the MID-MICHIGAN KNITTERS GUILD, herein after referred to as the GUILD.
2. The purpose of the GUILD shall be to provide education and communication to advance knowledge, quality of skills and creativity in knitting.
3. The GUILD shall not form a cooperative in order to obtain a business license or a tax number for the purpose of buying knitting supplies at a wholesale price.
ARTICLE II - MEMBERSHIP
1. Any person who is interested in the activities of this organization may become a member by payment of annual dues, regardless of race, creed, color or sex.
2. All members of the GUILD will receive the GUILD newsletter.
3. Thirty percent (30%) of GUILD members currently in good standing shall constitute a quorum for a regular meeting of the members.
ARTICLE III - MANAGEMENT
1. The management of the affairs of the GUILD shall be vested in a Board of Directors (Officers) composed of a minimum of 3 executive officers. (President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary) who shall set GUILD policy. The duties of the Secretary may be combined with the duties of one of the other officers.
2. Major decisions such as dues increases, change of meeting day or expenditures exceeding $50 shall be submitted to the membership for approval. (Majority of members present at a meeting that has a quorum).
3. The Board shall meet at such time and place as the President of the GUILD shall direct or at the call of any two (2) other members of the Board of Directors.
4. A majority of the Board of Directors shall constitute a quorum for transaction of business at any board meeting.
5. Vacancies on the Board of Directors shall be filled by appointment by the President with approval of the remaining Directors.
6. The minimum age for participation on the GUILD Board of Directors is the “age of majority” as established by the Michigan Age of Majority Act.
7. GUILD business may be conducted via e-mail as necessary.
8. All financial records (ex. Banking statements, budgets, etc) shall be kept for 7 years. All other documents shall be kept for 5 years.
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS AND DUTIES
1. Minimum term of office shall be one (1) year. No member may hold the same office for more than two consecutive terms but may serve in different offices consecutively.
2. The President shall preside at all meetings of the membership, all meetings of the Board of Directors and shall be an ex-officio member of any committee established by the GUILD The President, with the advice and consent of the Board of Directors, shall appoint all standing committees to be established by the GUILD. The President upon the advice and consent of the Board of Directors, shall be authorized to sign any and all GUILD documents.
3. The Vice President shall assist the President and serve in the absence of the President. The Vice President shall serve as the chairman of the GUILD Program Committee.
4. The Secretary shall keep minutes of all proceedings of meetings of the membership and the Board of Directors take care of correspondence at the direction of the President keep membership records, newsletter/workshop files, and program scrapbook.
5. The Treasurer shall receive and disburse all monies and present a statement of the current financial condition at all meetings of the GUILD Board of Directors. The Treasurer shall maintain the official membership list based on the dues paid.
ARTICLE V - FINANCIAL AFFAIRS
1. The books and accounts of GUILD shall be kept in accordance with sound accounting procedures. A checking account will be maintained with account privileges for the President and Treasurer in accordance with legal requirements of a non-profit organization.
2. In the event of dissolution of GUILD, all of its assets and funds shall be distributed to charitable organizations that are exempt for Federal Income Tax purposes, as determined by the Board of Directors.
3. No member of the GUILD shall profit financially from being a member of the GUILD, however, the GUILD may contract with members, including officers, in their professional capacity.
4. Committees shall provide a budget estimate for Officer approval prior to the beginning of the year. (September).
ARTICLE VI - COMMITTEES
1. The GUILD shall have committees for the purpose of carrying out the programs and Guild activities. Committees such as, but not limited to Education, Program, Library, Finance, Hospitality, and Publicity, web site manager, newsletter.
2. The duties of committees shall be as defined by the GUILD Board of Directors in the Standing Rules.
ARTICLE VII - DUES
1. The GUILD shall be charged with the responsibility of establishing annual dues for its members.
2. The annual membership dues for GUILD are due in September.
ARTICLE VIII - MEETINGS
1. There shall be at least one (1) annual meeting of the Board of Directors during the calendar year.
2. Special meetings of the Board of Directors of the GUILD may be called from time to time by any two (2) members of the Board of Directors.
3. The Board of Directors shall have the authority to set a membership meeting schedule. The meeting and financial year will be September 1 to August 31.
4. Resolution approval is by majority vote of members present at a regular meeting that has a quorum.
5. The regular meeting in May shall be known as the Annual Meeting and shall be for the purpose of electing officers, receiving reports of the officers and committees, and year-end financial statement.
ARTICLE IX - ELECTIONS
1. The election of GUILD officers shall be held during the May membership meeting.
2. The GUILD shall organize a nominating committee at the March membership meeting for the purpose of nominating officers of the GUILD for the next annual term. The nominating committee shall ascertain that the candidates nominated are willing to serve and be prepared to present the proposed slate of officers no later than the April monthly membership meeting.
3. The newly elected GUILD officers shall take office after the election.
4. Outgoing officers shall transfer all official GUILD documents (ex. Checking accounts, financial statements, etc to the new officers.
ARTICLE X - BY -LAWS
1. These by-laws may be amended, repealed, or altered in part by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of members present at a scheduled meeting that has a quorum.
ARTICLE XI - PROCEDURE
1. Robert's Rules of Order, as revised, shall govern all procedure and parliamentary matters of the GUILD